View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 01:35 PM

Most DIY'ers are going to have difficulty installing a new mortar bed to receive tile at a shower or tub enclosure. Mortar is an excellent substrate for many reasons but difficult to prep, mix and apply if you've never done it before. I'd typically suggest DIY'ers use green board or a cement board substrate instead. Applying a product such as Custom Bldg Products "RedGard" or Laticrete "HydroBan" over the face of those substrates will keep all moisture out if the WP instructions are followed. Its not a complicated procedure and ought to last for a couple of decades of normal residential use.

DenSheild (vinyl faced gyp bd) is also a viable substrate if joints and penetrations are caulked with 100% silicone per the installation instructions.

Adhesive should be "latex modified thin-set" for longevity and not mastic. Use ANSI 118.4 or better.

Most of my 70 tile setters don't carry a "hawk" on their truck anymore. Mortar walls are pretty much a bygone era. I can typically count the number of mud showers we do each year commercially on one hand.

09' E320 Bluetec 77k (USA)
09' Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel 48k (S.A.)