View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 02:33 PM

Led household bulbs versus florecents.

While it is on my mind. I was in the cashier lineup at the building supply store and casually observed a lighting display. A sixty watt output led bulb equivalent consumes 13 watts. A florescent bulb with the same lumens of output 11 watts. These claims are kelvin temperature dependent I suspect.

I will have to look into this but the difficulty of diffusion of light makes me think they are using pretty powerful leds to get the job done. So there may little to no savings going led over florecent bulbs.

The led bulbs advantages may be limited to rapid instant on and much better cold environment operation. Their claimed much longer lifespan does factor in but you have to be careful here as their aging drop off of output is an leds fact of life.

I had a horrible time diffusing the led light without heavy losses myself in the process. The solution I arrived at allows lower operating costs for the same output of lumens as the large companies provide.

It came as quite a surprise to me and I will have to review this whole area. I was not paying attention to the household bulb market and assumed perhaps improperly that they were more efficient overall.

I have started to study trends. Providing hydro is both a necessity and an opportunity to profit. Applying todays standards I expect hydro provision to become much more expensive as a percentage of incomes over the even shorter term now locally at least.

The politicians sold the public utitity here to private interests. Now that the price has reached about fifteen cents per kilowatt hour and will make twenty cents in the not too long haul.

People are starting to ask why the politicians acted against their best interests. Some citizens want to even buy it back but it is too late now as it has become a growing cash cow. We could not afford to period.

In fact I doubt it is for sale at almost any price. So in response the only alternative locally is to make things we do electrically much more efficient. This plays into the private utilities hands as they do not experience the costs of increasing generation capacity.

Anyways the message is look hard at switching from florescent bulbs to led bulbs. I will update this area when I get a better chance to look at this So I could have got something wrong. It would not be the first time.