View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 06:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj67coll View Post
Read Bot's reply to me above. He enumerates it well I think. However he thinks the TB will not be strong enough to control the whole country. I disagree. Either way the place will devolve into chaos and provide succor for AQ and other jihadi groups as before so eventually we will wind up having to deal with them as before. Bot think's this can be done by playing whack a mole with drones an special forces. I say it can't and mission creep is inevitable. Time will tell who is right.

- Peter.
Against my argument is most of American history, in which mission creep is a common attribute. But it hasn't always been that way. Take gunboat diplomacy, for example. The marines went in, kicked ass, and then left. It sure didn't endear us to the local dictatorships but it served to protect American commercial interests.

Another argument against involvement in Afghanistan is that we have no compelling commercial or strategic interest in the godforsaken place, except when nut jobs allow and facilitate training of people who intend to do us harm. That's a high investment, low profit venture.