View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 08:14 PM
dieselarchitect

I cannot imagine someone giving up the title for money. Perhaps if they threatened to kill him if he didn't throw the fight.

If he was convinced he couldn't win perhaps he might go down earlier to beat a spread (or whatever they call it in boxing).

I just think Ali was that good. He was greased lightning and 6 foot 4 with the quickest hands ever seen on a heavyweight...perhaps still so (not now but when he was young and fresh).

Later when he got old and out of shape and probably damaged he survived by guile and an incredible ability to take punches and stay vertical....that is no doubt what caused his Parkinson's.

I was a sophomore in HS I suppose in 64. I thought he was amazing. He and Willie Joe were mouthy but they backed it up with their athletic ability. I thought that was ok.
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.