View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 10:33 PM

I have had discussions about the space needed with people. My viewpoint is people usually want much more than what will probably meet their needs . This nets them higher property taxes, extra heating costs and maintenance as most people do not do their own work. Even then if you do your own you are buying more materials.

I probably have not sat in our living room for six months. The dining room is only utilized for special occasions usually. Even the computer I am at is in the family room.

Plus the wife and our two dogs at the moment. The dogs have developed a new game. The more you let us out the more frequently we will request it. Plus no is not an acceptable answer. Spring is coming. They have a form of cabin fever I suspect.

We have three chesterfields in the family room temporarily as well. One goes to the cottage as soon as the weather moderates. We may use the room more because it is at the back of the house. There is little noise at the front as the road is not busy and the front is all triple glazed thermo pane windows.

Besides the better energy efficiency they do reduce sound transmission a lot better than one would expect.

Three feet below the kitchen and eating level is the family room. Almost everything but sleep happens there by choice. It is kind of an open concept house.