Thread: Jeep Patriot?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txjake View Post
amazing that none of you even own one or have driven in one for more than a short while and can pass such concise advice. methinks you are drinking too much of your own koolaid about how smart you think you are.....

But, I guess owning a POS Mercedes makes you an expert in all things mechanical...
why are you surprised? I loved my chrysler product as well, and my family put 250k on our dodge minivan, and more on our first 80s voyager, but even I am compelled to admit that its reliability was less than stellar on both vehicles.
The second one was miles better than the first as far as finish quality, but it broke down on the way home from the dealership, and we put 3-4 transmissions in it. It was comfortable, drove great, and was a great minivan design with long lasting interior quality. As a family, we came to just accept that a new transmission was needed every 50-75k, even with excellent maintenance. Even then, we happened to have chosen just the right motor, the one with the best reputation for reliability, as there were owners who had both engine AND transmission problems in the same model.

Because your specific vehicle is doing great does not mean that there isn't loads of evidence of same model vehicles having periodic issues with more common options.

Chrysler has an enormous amount of history producing good design, and so-so execution on that design. Jeep products are subject to this same problem for as long as chrysler has owned Jeep. Breaks of the game. Every time I look at a jeep, I remember how my good friend had replaced his engine, manual gearbox, and diff all under 50 thousand miles, and all just driving the thing around on city streets. I also remind myself of how I broke a jeep cherokee clutch pedal off at the weld because it hadn't been finished properly at the factory.

Having said all that, I still like the looks of the patriot, and think its a cool little wagon, but the wife wouldn't have it because she didn't like the window visibility. What is your opinion on that on yours?

Personally, I wouldn't buy the jeep or a subaru, especially after my issue with matching tires on a 96 outback.