View Single Post
Old 01-22-2003, 12:45 AM
W126 Lover

CD changer for a Becker 2340

I'm VERY anxiously awaiting delivery of a new Becker 2340 which I will be installing in my '89 420SEL (replacing the stock 780).

As a shortwave enthusiast, I've long eyed this unit, but the price was simply prohibitive until now. (Since Becker has decided to discontinue the 2340, the street price has plumetted, and I snapped one up ASAP.)

I have a few questions for experienced and knowledgable members here:

1) Am I correct that the best way to install the new unit would be to bypass my 420's external fader and run new wires off the 2340 down to my individual speaker leads? (I'm no expert, but if I understand the setup of my current 2 channel system correctly, I think doing so will allow my to use the 2340's full 25x4 power and allow me to use the 2340's internal fader. Right )

2) Does anyone know which Becker CD changers are plug-and-play with the 2340 head unit?

3) And finally (for now ), I received an old Mercedes CD changer as part of a package deal last year on eBay. It has no manufacturer's name on the exterior (Just the MB name and logo). The model number on the rear is MX3192, and it's "Made in Japan". Since the 780 in my 420 is not CD compatible, the changer has been packed away in storage ever since; but now I'm curious about what I've got here.

Does anyone recognize this description? And, by any chance, would it pair up with the new 2340 (which, of course, IS CD capable.) I suspect the answer will be "not compatible," but I'd like to know what I've got in any case.

Thanks in advance--And, sorry so long-winded.

1991 560SEL-Euro (214,000 miles)
1989 420SEL (Retired from daily use at 325,000 miles; Use as donor vehicle)