View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 08:59 AM

Renegotiated my AT&T Wireless plan and saved some $$

I've been reading how T-Mobile is aggressively pursuing AT&T Wireless customers, forcing AT&T to lower their prices.

I Googled for some tips on the subject and concluded Twitter is the way to get some leverage with AT&T. Evidently, their customer retention group monitors Twitter and responds when you mention them and your dissatisfaction. Here is the main article I relied on:

AT&T Bill Discount: How T-Mobile could help get you cheaper AT&T plans | BGR

I called T-Mobile and spent a few minutes understanding their plans and prices so I'd be prepared to talk to AT&T. I'm happy with the coverage and service of AT&T so I really didn't want to switch. But, I did want to lower my $215 monthly bill.

So I tweeted, "@T-Mobile looking a lot cheaper than @ATTCustomerCare and they'll pay me to switch. Have 3 line family plan." Got a response from AT&T within the hour suggesting I look at new plans on their website. Direct messaged them that, frankly, their website makes my head hurt and asked them to call me directly. Got a call from them 20 minutes later.

Ended up lowering my bill from $215 to $165 per month with no real changes. Have 3 iPhones in the family. Got 10 GB of shared data, unlimited talk, and unlimited text. And there is no contract commitment for the new plan. I can cancel with no penalty anytime I want.

Behind every great man is a great woman. Behind every great woman is a great behind.