View Single Post
Old 05-30-2000, 10:23 PM
Deezel

I am about to go to the west coast to look at a 72 280SEL 4.5 and have a question about the timing chain on this model car. As far as I can tell from my research in the archives here, the chain, guides and tensioners should be changed every 100,000 miles or so. Is this correct? This particular car has 150,000 since a major rebuild and no timing chain work since. I am concerned about the drive back east in this condition. One archive post talked about removing the passenger side valve cover and inspecting the guides for wear. This seems like a good start, but considering the cost of a failure, not worth the risk for a long drive back to the east coast. What is a reasonable price for parts and labor at a typical shop. one post suggested $700. Another alternative is to use a commercial transport to get back east and do the work myself. I have done timing belts, and american V-8 work, so I am not too afraid except for special tooling for the chain pins. Are there any other special tools required? I thought I read something about a special tool to feed the chain in.

Many thanks for any advice offered.

------------------
Deezel
87 300TDT
150,000 miles