Thread: Speedo cable
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2003, 12:01 PM

The inner cable is easily removed by just pulling it out. It sounds like the inner cable may have broken so only the lower half is turning. Try removing the inner cable in two pieces from each end. Assuming it has broken, examine the broken ends to see how badly they are frayed and check the outer cable casing for a kink around the area where the inner cable broke. It the outer looks OK and the ends at the break weren't too badly chewed up you should be able to replace just the inner cable. To do this it's easiest to reattach the outer casing at the tranny and slide the new inner in from above. Twist it slightly as you feed it in and add a bit of dry graphite as you go. Don't use oil, grease or WD-40 on the cable, they trap dirt and will lead to premature failure. It's not uncommon for these inner cables to break and the replacement is pretty easy so give it a try. I got a new inner cable made up for me at a local speedo shop but other parts houses may have them and I have seen them advertised in Hemmings Motor News. Hope this helps.
1985 300 TDT(130K miles of trouble free motoring)now sold