View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
You also didn't see the bearing tension being relieved after the spindle nut was overtightened.

That said, I am sure that YouTube would not allow anything that was not completely correct and accurate. So, forget the FSM, grab your Channellocks and adjust away!!!
Joking aside, I am looking through the FSM (33-300, adjusting bearing play). It mentions "remove contact spring for radio suppression"... I am honestly not sure what that is. The FSM shows a little white rectangle thing covering the spindle (parallel to the surface area), but all I see is a pin that goes through the middle of the spindle. The cut-away diagram shows what appears to be a flat clip (similar to what goes on the throttle lever), which I don't seem to have. Nothing protrudes out of the spindle.

I'm assuming you mean tension relief that the spindle being tapped with a mallet (step 5)?

The FSM seems to say to remove the "contact spring" (step 3), then tighten the locking nut until the hub is "hard to turn" (step 5), then back off 1/3rd a turn, then whack the spindle with a mallet. Let me know if I got that right (without the sarcasm)...

When it starts to mention checking for "play" it doesn't really say explicitly how to adjust that play within tolerance. I'm assuming by adjusting the locking nut either way (and relieving tension again)?