View Single Post
Old 01-23-2003, 07:01 PM

Did a true poor-boy trick for my old beast. Went to the local liquidator called JOB-LOT, bought a 500W halogen lamp for 8 bucks, put the lamp under the car up against the oil pan and threw a moving blanket over the motor. I also picked up some kind of diesel fuel conditioner called Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement. This stuff is obviously meant for OTR truckers, "add 96 oz to 300 gals of fuel", I put in a cup for 20 gals. I was exactly 0 this morning when I went out to start it. It was a difficult start, starter kept popping off the flywheel ring thing but eventually it got a good bite and the car sort of transitioned from the starter spinning it to it running by itself. Ran rough but only for a few mins. I did do the glow plug thing 5 times before lighting it off. I'm either getting the official block heater put in this spring or an oil pan heater from engine-heater.com. This diesel fuel additive guarantees no gelling so maybe that helped. Runs ok once it starts but the block heater sure would make life a lot sweeter. Funny thing this morning, you know how near the tail-pipe there usually a spot of soot from idling, this morning there was ICE I guess from the water vapor by-product of the combustion process. First time ever saw that !