View Single Post
Old 01-24-2003, 09:30 AM

Keep in mind that if it truely is 7 degrees outside there is a good chance your fuel has gelled. If that happens you have to get the car in a garage or wait until it warms up outside before it will start flowing again.

On the other hand, I wouldn't wait 40 seconds to start the car after the GP light goes out. I would keep cycling the ignition key to keep them hot (maybe three times) and then try starting. If you wait 40 seconds, how do you know for sure they are still being activated? The could already be cooling off.

I know people say the GP continue to run after the dash light goes off, but here is my experience on an '85 VW (I had an auxillary dash light hooked up directly to the GPs): dash lights go out and GP still have power for about 3 seconds; crank car, and once engine is RUNNING, power to the GP is activated on and off for another 5-10 seconds; power to GP is then shutoff. Unless someone out there has an auxillary light hooked up directly to the GP to know how and when power is being applied, I wouldn't wait 40 seconds to try starting the car, maybe just 10 seconds.

Read your owners manual. There is a specific technic for starting these cars when the temp gets down this cold.

Your car is in such nice shape I doubt the problem is with the car (more likely fuel gelling).

Good luck,

GregS
'84 300D, 173k
'90 300CE, 161k