View Single Post
Old 01-24-2003, 07:04 PM

ran over a semi trucks drive shaft, undercarriage damage, advice please

going south on I95 earlier today, directly in front of me, in the right hand lane, in the middle of my lane, was the driveshaft that a semi truck had just spit out. The only thing i had time to do was to center the car over the driveshaft and drive over it. I immediately heard and felt a very loud "thump" and looked behind me to see the driveshaft bouncing and my car pouring out black smoke. I immediately pulled over, and inspected the car. Initial inspection showed that the exhaust had been dented, and i could not see anything else. As i drove off, the exhaust was still black, oil pressure was good, temperature was good, and all seemed okay other than chunks flying out of the exhaust and it being black. This eventually cleared to being normal. I got to a gas station, jacked the car up, and inspected the undercarriage. There is a VERY large dent in the spare tire well, and the oil pan appears to be dented farther than it was before, in addition to the mulitple dents in the exhaust system. I got the drivers insurance information, and called them to open a claim. I have been given a claim number and was told that sometime next week they will send an adjuster to my school to inspect the damage. My concern is if the adjuster will be able to adequately appraise undercarriage damage, and if they can't, i have no clue where to take the car to be inspected. It seems to be running fine, less the spare tire poking out into the drunk due to the severity of the dent. Sorry for the long post, any advice is appreciated, thanks.
Ryan
2001 IS300.......sold
2002 330i.........current.
2004 highlander limited....current.