View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Albrecht View Post
I traced the problem to a clogged tank screen.

I used my vacuum oil sucker to pull on the fuel line to see where he bubbles come from. I was getting a lot of bubbles coming into the primary fuel filter. They were easy to see in the clear lines of the vacuum system.

I'm not sure where the air comes from, but when I disconnected the fuel line at the tank the fuel flowed _very_ slowly. Pulling on the fuel line at the tank produced bubbles too.

It took a _long_ time to empty the tank and I don't yet have a 46mm socket to remove the filter. It is on the way.

There you go. Some lines may need renewing or clamping but if fuel flows freely you probably won't have enough pressure for the bubbles to come in. Did you get a shallow socket? On my old 124 it wasn't such a big deal but it is tough to get to on the 126 with a normal depth socket. If you get impatient you can get the ASE size that is the next one bigger. On that size bolt it won't matter. You won't round the edges.

I kind of thought maybe that was your problem. It should run much better. I would look into tank cleaning methods while you have the screen out in case you have diesel algae which I imagine you probably do.

Both retired cars are for sale as is my w124 shop inventory