View Single Post
Old 06-12-2000, 04:40 PM
Brian16V

Gang:

I'm reviving this post 'cause I may have to take a dose of my own medicine. My car has performed *flawlessly* since purchased in February (1986 2.3-16V). That is until last Friday afternoon. Here's what happened:

[1] Drove 50 miles on the freeway to San Francisco; some stop-n-go; drove 50 miles home -- no problems whatsoever (drove next to a CLK 430; we were both eyeballing eachother's cars ).
[2] Drove to the local mall and was parked approximately 30-minutes (outside temp around 75-degrees).
[3] Started my car and (out of habit) feathered the gas pedal as I turned the key. The RPMs rose to 2000, the needle dropped and the car died. Started on the second try.
[4] Stuck it in 1st (5-speed manual) and proceeded to pull out of the parking space. Drove 25-feet, pushed in the clutch, lifted off the gas and the car died -- STALL #1.
[5] Started up (no problem), stuck it in 1st, proceeded to the main street, pushed in the clutch, lifted off the gas and the car died -- STALL #2.
[6] Pushed in clutch (still in 1st) started up (no problem), proceeded to the next intersection, pushed in the clutch, lifted off the gas and the car died -- STALL #3. Still rolling, so I bump-started it.
[7] Took some back streets home and it never died; got on the freeway -- no problems.

Questions: Did feathering the gas pedal on startup do *something*? Vapor lock? Bad gas? OVP Relay? Fuel Pump Relay?

I have the means ($) to purchase the two relays, and am thinking of doing it anyways. Is replacement a pretty easy proposition? Just remove the battery, then unplug/plug the relays?

"DC" and "gill" -- what was the final resolution on your problems?

Thanks in advance for any/all advice (man, I LOVE this forum !!!).

Brian