View Single Post
Old 05-05-2014, 11:17 AM

Auto trans catastrophic failure after accident

About a week ago someone slammed into the back of my wife's beloved 1985 190e 2.3. Automatic. Some panels and the bumper were bent pretty good and the damage was restricted to the area below the trunk lid. The car was driveable but 2 days later the transmission over a period of about an hour started "slipping" ( her description) and then failed to engage at all. Had the car towed to the body shop where there appears to be no visible damage on the tranny. This puts whether to do the body repairs into a whole new light. The trans has been regularly serviced throughout its life,. The car has 130,000 miles on the odometer. Any thoughts on what may have happened to the trans as a result of the rear impact? I don't want to blame the accident but the timing is a little curious. I don't really know where to start looking but trying to put together any data that might help. Thanks for taking the time to read and or respond.
Bruce

Last edited by epoxybreath; 05-05-2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Failure to enter all info