View Single Post
Old 05-18-2014, 05:47 PM

Talking OM617952/MW : IP adjustment advice Low/Mid End : Snapshots!

Hey Gang,

I am getting ready to tear into the IP (OM617.952/MW) and wanted to know peoples advice and experiences on the matter.

I have read a lot of write-ups, and I think I know the major path I plan to take (Not intending to remove rack limiter); but I would be grateful for any and all's real world experience. Since my survey of the literature indicates that this topic has been covered exhaustively in detail; let's keep it brief and keep the detailed debates for those threads.

I'm just really curious about folk's real world experience in The Realm of Moderate IP Adjustment.

That said my rig (1992 FJ80) is listed at 2,084 kg (4,594 lb) curb weight per Wikipedia, so mid and low end improvement are my primary focus, whilst not impinging on reliability. I'm particularly interested in folks' experience with towing/lots of weight.

What kind of plan is turning the torque control ~1 turn CW ; the Rack Limiter ~1/4-1/2, and I guess idle to taste? Do I adjust with the motor running? How should I adjust boost to suit (~13.5psi?).

I have adjusted valves, ALDA, timing seems right on, but haven't drip tested, (IP is recently "staked"). Boost is around 10-12psi. Never smokes apart from initial startup, not even at full load. Seems like I might be missing out on a little power. EGT's ~ 1100F at 80 Mph flat; dog in the mountains except ~15mph.)

Anyway, Weigh In, Weigh In! Any and All! (But please keep it a brief summay of your adjustments and results!)