View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 10:22 AM
...like a shield of steel

Information that I discovered on the interweb

I did a fair amount of searching about and kept coming back to the colour wheel.

Color wheel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The colour coat I want to apply is a tertiary colour - brown.

If you look at this link here =>

How to Mix Paint Colors to Make Brown: 9 Steps (with Pictures)

It shows which components of the colour can be used to make brown - on the same site there are five other methods of doing this =>

5 Ways to Make Brown from Primary Colors - wikiHow

So of those methods I determined, by thinning the paint I have, that Manganese Brown 480 is a purple and yellow based brown.

####

Now that I know what has been used to make up the colour I've got I was thinking I could use the information in this article =>

Undertones in Color

To narrow down the likely under colours that would work for the brown I've got.

This guy (sorry I assume a male writer) reckons that all non primary and secondary colours are in effect "grays" - even though they are not gray (if you see what I mean?). So to work out what colour you want to extenuate you need to use the opposite colour of your mix as the under colour.

For my purple and yellow based brown I was going to try a purple under colour and then a yellow under colour to see if this indeed works as this chap says.

A yellow under colour should produce a darker more purple brown

A purple under colour should make a more yellow / gold like brown

I wanted to test this out - I might do so later on - but at the moment I've got better things to be getting on with!
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!