View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 01:38 PM

Replacing a 617 in a 1983 G wagen with a 606

I have a customer with the project listed in the title of the thread. The engine just arrived, it's out of a '99 E with an automatic, the truck has a manual and the owner would like to keep it that way. Looking for a few leads on some things, as I don't have experience with this engine, though I have played with a fair number of G-Wagens over the last few years.

So- what are the pitfalls I can get into with this project? A starting list:

1: This engine came to me without the turbo, what's a good source for a reasonably priced rebuilt unit? Related, what will I need to get the intercooler into the truck?

2: Flywheel- Looks like all the American versions of this engine came in cars that only had automatics, thus they all have flexplates instead of flywheels, anyone know where a suitable flywheel can be found? Semi-related, I once was putting an international 2.8 TGV diesel into a Land Rover and found out, way too late, that the customer had ordered an engine meant for an automatic, which had a different crankshaft that the transmission pilot bearing wouldn't fit in. Any similar troubles here?

3: transmission: will the bellhousing bolt up the same to the back of the engine?

4: Engine mounts- Will the mounts from the 606 go to the same spot on the frame, is there a bracket kit available, or am I going to have to start cutting and welding onto the frame?

5: Injection pump- what sensors need to be connected to what to get the fuel pump to operate correctly? Or do I go with the plan the customer says he saw a few people doing which is install a pump from a 603? And what is the shutoff for these two pumps- doesn't look like the 606 is still that junk vacuum system that Mercedes clearly knew was going to fail on the 617, evidenced by the secondary cutoff lever.

and 6: Do I need an electric vacuum pump for brake boost? don't see a pump on this engine.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys may be able to give me- I want to give this guy back a better truck than he's bringing me, and do so as quickly as possible. And if anyone has a solution to a problem I don't even know I have yet, please feel free to add it to the list...