View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 08:11 PM
'84 300D Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkveuro View Post
Run following test:

Place vehicle out of the sun. A/C temp' at MAX .... blower speed low. ( Recirc' door closed.) Close all windows and doors. Insert temp' probe in center vents. Run engine at 1800 rpm. After some time temp should drop to 34F to 36F and CC then disengages and vent reading should climb to 38 F or 44 F and CC should engage and vent temp' drop to 34F to 36F again.

If Yes...system working as designed.
After sitting in the garage overnight, I ran this test yesterday, and the system passed. It's difficult to hold the car at a constant RPM, but it got down to 36*F and the ETR cut the compressor out. I know it did because the engine promptly revved to about 2500 RPM without the compressor load. Temp went up to around 42 and the compressor kicked back on.

I'm still not satisfied, as today, it was in the low 90s and in stop-go city traffic, my vent temps were only in the low 50s. Two summers ago I was getting low-mid 40s in stop-go city traffic. I'm just worried what it's going to be like when the Texas heat hits 100+...

Could I be under or over charged?

Does a 7 cylinder Sanden have less capacity than the R4?

Could my evaporator be oil logged? I know the evaporator is clean, because I had to put a cleaned junkyard one in two years ago to replace a leaky one.

The sight glass is running clear with only occasional whisps of bubbles.

The car sat in storage from 11/2012 to 01/2014, when all the R12 leaked out.

Just trying to give as much info as I can...