View Single Post
Old 06-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Control Freak

Hmm common thread here is the OVP relay. The ABS and EDS (idle speed control) computers take conditioned power from the OVP relay. The car will run with the EDS failing but will not idle correctly.

If that is good then you'll need to go into the diagnostics for ABS and EDS which are in the factory service manual. Go to w124-zone.com or startekinfo.com and look for MB workshop resources, page through to about the 3rd page for the 124 chassis service information.

Something caught my eye. You shouldn't be hitting 100c on a normal basis. 80 to 90 is the normal range in my experience. I would be looking at the fan clutch to make sure the fan is working. When it is hot, have someone kill the engine while you watch the fan (or hit the stop lever on the IP). The fan should stop instantly and not coast down. If the fan coasts down the fan clutch is shot.

I would also remove the aux fan from the front of the condenser and check for leaves and crud buildup. Shine a light through the radiator/condenser combo and see if light passes.

Also make sure you have proper coolant - G05 from NAPA (or genuine MB if you have the $$) and distilled water. If your coolant is green do a flush and fill post haste.
2013 E350 Bluetec (my DD)

both my kids cars went to junkyard in 2023
2008 ML320 CDI (Older son’s DD) fatal transmission failure, water soaked/fried rear SAM, numerous other issues, just too far gone to save (165k miles)
2008 E320 Bluetec (Younger son's DD) injector failed open and diluted oil with diesel, spun main bearings (240k miles)

1998 E300DT sold to TimFreeh
1987 300TD sold to vstech