View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 01:18 AM

Fuel gauge problem

I just rebuilt the instrument cluster on the 83 300TD US spec car. Rebuilt sounds more involved really, I replaced all the bulbs, painted the needles, and hopefully fixed the rheostat.

When it was apart I found the small plastic knob rattling around on the housing. I couldn't figure out where it went for the life of me. So, I torn apart the donor car's cluster, and saw the small plastic disc with a formed pin in the middle at one end of a spool of wire in the fuel gauge.

So, I went back to the other cluster, and sure enough there it was, but I couldn't get it to reattach...and it eventually caused the plastic rod that wire was spooled around to snap in the middle...

DANG, I straightened it back out, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to pull the gauges out, clearly the needles have to come off, but HOW?

Anyways, I'm not sure how well it will work if it will work at all...any suggestions?