Thread: Engine weight
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmalu View Post
I have a OM617.952 on a Engine Stand, I was figuring it must weight at least 600 lbs. I didn`t want to use a HF engine stand, so started looking on CL and found a heavy duty one for #100.

Looks similar to this one. Reminds me of an Engine Hoist that has been cut down and modified.

I was a bit nervous about the thing tipping over when rotating the engine, so run a square tube through the cross piece at the rear, and with a foot sticking out on either side. Across the front wheels ran another piece of tubing and bolted it to the frame. then set the tubes that stick out on some large blocks of wood to stable it. I just knew it would probably flip over if I rotated the engine with a HF light duty stand. With this stand the engine turned real smooth and didn`t get away from me with all the accessories still bolted to it. I still give it a lot of respect.

The HF one scares me when I think of it flipping over. If it starts to go, don`t try to hold it, just let her go.

800 × 532 - auctionflex.com

I know most of us won`t be bolting a 2000 lb engine on a stand, but I read through this thread on another forum where the welds broke and the engine hit the shop floor. The majority of these stands come out of China, (maybe India too) and the metal they use is thin and the welds don`t always have good penetration.
What engine stand for diesels? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Charlie
Hi Charlie, Harbor Freight has more than one stand, they have 3 choices. The $45, 750 pound 3-legged one pictured above is spooky I'd never use it for anything. The $59 1,000 pound 4 wheeled one is the one I used, and the $129 1,500 pound 4 wheeled one they have with the extra cross member and supports is exactly like the blue one you have posted here (in design at least). When I bought my stand it was for a VW aircooled engine so the 1,000 pound one was more than I needed but I hated the idea of the three wheeled on stability alone, and for only $14 more, I figured I'd get the 1,000 pound stand.

For the 617 engine, that sucker bowed badly, so I did the prop up and it worked fine, and for me the gap between $59 and $129 to go the next step up was a good value, that didn't compromise safety since I had no intention of turning the engine anyways. I think the 2x4 prop also helped relive stress on the aluminum mounting part of the engine.