View Single Post
Old 01-29-2003, 01:16 PM

civility

One thing I have noticed in our society is the lack of civility over the years. When you look at the products of Hollywood, sports stars, and the obsessive drive to be constantly entertained, it is no wonder. Ever been passed on the highway and flipped the bird ? I have, and I wonder if the jerk was in a hurry to get home and turn on the TV !
Ever wonder why we are an increasingly obese nation ? Doesn't take rocket science to figure it out. Too much of the wrong kinds of food, and too little exercise. What are people doing while eating junk food and not exercising ? Right, watching TV, playing video games, laying around. I'm not bragging, but I have 9% bodyfat. I am not a natural ! I work my butt off doing aerobics, martial arts, and weight lifting, and I follow a strict nutrition program. Don't have time ? People make time to do what they really desire ! A fact !
How can we get civility back ? It will never happen ! It would require a total overhall of the public school system. I am a public school teacher and will powerfully say that the system is shot ! Look at any high school literature book and you will see that most of the classics of Western Civilization are gone; replaced with rubbish and nonsense ! These classics, one time in our country taught civility, respect, and decency. They are dying ! I hate to think of some of the students I am teaching one day hitting the streets as adults. It is too scary to think about.
Robert Davis