Thread: M110 motor oil
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 10:43 PM

ZDDP for MEEE

Right on, forgot about MTL. I too have had a nice experience with that stuff in Borg-Warner T5's. If I get a 5 speed into my 190D Turbo I'll probably try it there too. I'd put MB coolant in my lawnmower if I could.

Back to motor oils for the M110 and others of that generation of valve design, more SHOULD be mentioned about ZDDP levels of motor oils amongst the "sliding surfaces" lifter vehicle operators. I've never used Lucas motor oil, but they seem to be making flat-tappet hot rod owners happy with their ZDDP "enhanced" oil. The Schaeffer's SAE 20 for my boat engine is about 1250ppm, a little above the 1000ppm standard prior to the reformulations for rolling surfaces.

Lastly, I've come to see that high TBN ratings are also not necessary in gasoline automobiles, but for sulfur management in diesel combustion blow-by and not even so much for that anymore either according to Morris Lubricants. Although Mercedes designates oils and includes TBN in that spec hierarchy. I found an oil once with a TBN of 20 (twenty) and it was made for trucks that were going to burn the lowest grade diesel found, like from barrels in villages they would drive through. Morris Lubricants wrote: "I would suggest that you would want a low TBN as using a product with a high TBN would lead to premature glazing and also our fuel quality has greatly improved from when the engine was first produced." They were answering a question I had about their SAE 20 (TBN of 4) for my diesel Volvo-Penta MD2 built in 1968.

Could anyone expand upon what Morris was calling "glazing"? Is this a polishing of the cylinder wall and a loss of effective ring sealing and how does the Total Base Number contribute to this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke2.6 View Post
There's nothing more I can say about engine oil.

I use Redline MTL in the five-speed of my 190E 2.6, SAE 80W-90 GL-5 gear oil in the axle, DOT 4 brake fluid, and Zerex G-05 antifreeze.

As a long life grease for wheel bearings, suspension and steering joints I prefer something with a full synthtic base like Mobil 1 grease, which is a high drop-point NGLI #2, and there are many that are essentially the same on the market.

In most cases I recommend what the manufacturer recommends, but when it's something like "use MB power steering fluid", it creates a dilemma because what they sell is likely a generic product in their own package that costs several times what the generic product costs.

A few years ago I wanted to flush my power steering system and change the filter. After some research I ended up using Pyroil PS fluid, which is reasonably priced power steering fluid that appears to compatible with most PS systems except Hondas for a reason that I don't understand.

For years I wondered what was so special about MB antifreeze. It was after the Chrysler Daimler-Benz merger when Chryler began using "MB antifreeze", which became available on the aftermarket as Zerex G-05, and I was able to determine that it is the same BASF developed HOAT product that MB used for a long time including the late eighties.

Duke
Sold----
93 300E 2.8
92 190E 2.3
85 500SEC
71 220b
73 280SE 4.5