View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 08:49 AM

Brake Issues with the 201

Did some brake work on girlfriend's '84 190e today. Sad part is, the brakes aren't any better, just different. Since we've had it, the car has suffered from a stiff pedal with too little travel. Today I rebuilt the front calipers (one was just about frozen) and we're suffering from a low, squishy pedal. The pedal is high and stiff with the car off, and sinks when the car is on. Maybe something to do with the booster? I know the booster is doing something, since the car is incredibly hard to stop with the booster disconnected.
I've bled the brakes a couple times already (and I'll be the first to admit that I'm not great at bleeding brakes). There doesn't seem to be any sign of a leak, the pedal holds steady and doesn't sink down. That seems to rule out a bad master cylinder too, which my buddy swears is the issue. Everything seems to point to more air in the system, though I don't seem to be getting it when bleeding. I'm lost, and all I can think of is to bleed and bleed until the brakes work as they should.

Two points that may be of interest:

With hard braking, the car pulls left some.

I believe the fluid was overheated yesterday. I'm wondering if there's still some burnt up fluid in the system disturbing the whole affair.

I'm open to any suggestions.