Thread: VoIP questions
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawoSD View Post
That's not an equal comparison. T1 voice channels are a dedicated bandwidth carved out on the line. Common VOIP solutions are active adjusting to the amount available on the connection. I doubt 32 lines would work (at all) over 2 mbit upload.....perhaps not from actual bandwidth usage, but from the latency that would cause.

Either way....with 18/2 uverse several lines would work just fine. U-verse has excellent network latency vs other places like Comcast/charter etc...

I think my dad is only paying about $40 something a month for two lines on vonage...
A T1 is 24 64 kilobit PCM voice channels. SPD is thinking of an E1, which is 32 channels and 2.048Mb bandwidth. VoIP is not a very efficient user of bandwidth; the IP header on each packet - typically every 40 milliseconds - consumes substantial bandwidth relative to the payload size. So you may not be able to fit 24 VoIP conversations within a T1.

That said, your Internet connection is plenty sufficient to support voice service. A voice conversation will consume on the order of 1% of the available uplink bandwidth. There are other factors than bandwidth which impact voice quality, but don't want to put everybody to sleep.