View Single Post
Old 01-31-2003, 11:13 AM
Razorback Soccer Dad

I think the inability to refrain from flames and insults is what causes problems...I don't care how many "smileys" follow the retorts!

You could start a thread praising the benevolent works of the Ku Klux Klan if you wanted. I could put my 2 cents worth in the argument, and be fine with that.

But some here feel if such a thread existed that it would be their absolute duty to volley out the "N" word as a response, via a post or private e-mail.

That is where the real problem resides. Words do indeed reflect differently on paper than spoken. "Smileys" are ignored at that point if the retort seem downright mean!

For those that might take this point personally, even if your responses are in jest, consider that in a typical heated debate, when one debater senses a losing battle, they resort to name calling (remember SNL "Jane, you ignorant slut!").

The moderators may have been a bit trigger-happy at times, but considering the vast demographic content of the members in this forum, it is possible to voice disapproval of some political issue, country, or individual without getting personal.

What gets people in trouble here is the lack of restraint in generalizing a particular culture, religion, race, country, etc. ("That's why you Canadians are...", or No wonder Jews do...") and so on. We need to quell these types of responses.

If we want to keep this forum alive, keep initiating controversial issues, but leave the "yo Mamma" comments at home!
2016 Mustang (32K) - Daughter's car