View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 08:47 PM

88 560sl New Owner Q's, Mechanic Rec

Hi,

Just bought an 1988 560sl, Signal Red on black with 59k miles. Great condition inside and out, although I don't think the paint is completely original. . I didn't notice until after I got it home. It runs well and doesn't leak.

Here's the issues I have and I am hoping to get some feedback:

1. Recomendation Bay Area mechanic especially in San Francisco. I took it to Ed's ******** already, not exclusively a Benz shop but he seemed nice enough albeit a bit rushed. He read the code for me for the check engine light for free. I was also looking at Sal's who is a Benz only shop and does a lot of vintage work. I'd like to pay a good mech to go through the whole car for me.

2. After about 100 miles check engine light came on. Also, after sitting it's hard to start. Can take about 10 cranks and some gas to turn over. After warmed up, starts on first crank. Ed says code reads Air Flow Sensor and recommended replacing the entire Fuel Distributor body which can run around $1000 on parts alone! He says he just had this same problem with hard starting and this fixed the issue. I'm going to get a second opinion before I jump into this repair.

3. Brakes squeal like a bat out of hell. No sensor light on so I assume the pads are ok. I'm going to check them soon to make sure. I guess the squealing and the dusting is just something we have to put up with on these cars? Any recommendations for place to buy genuine brake pads and sensors if I need to replace? You think it's ok to downshift moderately especially in hilly SF to take some pressure of the squealing? Don't want to wear out the tranny.

4. Other than that the car looks, runs and sounds great. I ordered a replacement left window switch as I was able to determine a faulty switch which kept the window from going down by swapping the two switches. Thanks forum! Also need to check the third brake light, as it's out and the sensor is tripped.

Absolutely love the car! I read through this very informative thread: http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/sl-forum/27920-new-560sl-owner-questions.html

Thinking I'll try and do most of this stuff over the next few years but not really in a major hurry considering my low miles. Any other advice is appreciated!