View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzasaurus View Post
I think the article gets a lot of things right except for the class warfare; that's on more than just the Ivys.

And there is a hella ton of financial aid for needs based cases at various Ivys. Here's an example: Yale "Factsheet" | Office of Institutional Research. They'll give 65k a year if you qualify. A big portion of that will probably just be for tuition though, at their valuation.

Students are definitely trained to be timid, but that also results from any upbringing that prioritizes earning capacity above fulfillment. Lots of them are not the scared little animals the article makes out, those are the worst off. I think for lots of them the rat race starts at college and so does their rejection of it. They do see it for what it is but they just don't see any other way forward through life. They have no alternative role models because our society on the whole privileges earning capacity over fulfillment.
It is easy to discuss fulfillment on a full belly, in a warm house sleeping on a comfortable bed and not needing to worry whether you are going to have a next meal or not. You get me the earning capacity and I think I can find my own fulfilment later on.

Go to the ghetto and talk to some guy in a cardboard box on a cold winter night about your existential values and see how much attention you get. Watch that guy scamper towards me when I drop a burger on the floor.
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow