View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
This is beautiful work you are doing.

I am surprised to see the angle at which the engine and transmission is fitted to the chassis on these things (er sorry Unimogs) do they suffer from leaky rear seals more than they do at the front?

Total newbie unimog question =>

Disc brakes =>

...with covers...

...how do they stay cool like that?
No more rear seal leaks than any other motor. The oil pan holds three gallons of oil! and the crank is well below the oil level.
Disc brakes were an option, it has four calipers up front, two per wheel and the back brakes have the parking brake built right into the calipers.
Those are a set of rims I cut down to roll the chassis around on, but they were doing a number on the driveway, so I mounted up a set of low profile tires on another set of rims I had. The cut down rims will be good for loading a truck into a container as you have to take the rims and tires off to get a truck into one.
The motor is a 5.7L six cyl. diesel and I had to move the turbo in order to fit everything under the cab. So I custom make the headers and move the turbo down to the side where there is room for everything. The wrapping is over the headers and exhaust to keep the heat away for the cab floor.