View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 09:44 PM
MB 1985 300TD Wagon

So Ive found the clunking problem. It was that the fellow who installed the new shocks left out the rubber spacer that goes between the shock and the body of the car.

We took it apart and put it back together today, and as the loose strut was clunking around the hydraulic hose became loose and leaked, so ride height was lower than it should be...

Luckily nothing was damaged.

Now, I did what you suggested Mxfrank, for bleeding the air through the SLS valve. It seemed the simplest as the car was up on a large lift in a shop and we disconnected it from the sway bar and manipulated the arm. (see picture) this arm was very loose before the engine was running and I could turn it 180 degrees without anything stopping it. Is this normal?.

Once the engine was running, it still was loose, but firmer when it got to it normal operating location and you can hear the hydraulic fluid working through the system somewhere, but nothing happened with the struts. They didnt budge. We wiggled the lever around lots and experimented where there was some kind of resistance, and you can hear some whining kind of sound slightly, but again no movement.

The car was supported on a lift with the suspension and rear wheels and arms hanging. Will the hydraulics actually lift the suspension up (compress the struts), or is it just the weight of the car that will send the struts to its minimal height?

I thought fir sure something was wrong as the struts weren't compressing, but perhaps they wont on their own. Its just the weight of the car?
Attached Thumbnails
How to bleed (if needed) new hydropneumatic shocks..?-img_5638.jpg