Thread: RIP 106.9 WCCC
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 08:24 AM
New England Hick

RIP 106.9 WCCC

This is low on the importance scale and TC might be the only other one here who would be familiar with WCCC in Hartford, which was the last non-corporate radio station in CT. I've been listening to the station since I was a kid, which is getting to be a lonnnnnnng time ago now.

(For better or worse depending on perspective) Howard Stern got his big break on the station. Countless metal and modern/alternative rock bands got their first major airplay here, many of them debuting new singles on the station after they made the big time. A large number of them recorded acoustic versions of their songs at the station for a CD, the proceeds from which went to the local food pantry. They had the usual amount of commercial breaks and DJ blathering, but besides the morning show there was always a DJ on-site and call-in song requests were always possible.

About a year ago they changed their format from metal/alternative to classic rock. Kind of a bummer since I liked hearing the new talent, sometimes on the edgier side, that was right on the cusp of making it big time as well as the ones that had already made it. But it was tolerable, I like classic rock since what I listened to in HS is now classic rock. And while there were classic rock stations in New Haven and Springfield, MA, there wasn't one in the Hartford area.

WCCC was recently sold and last Friday 8/1, they changed their format to K-LOVE adult contemporary Christian music.

Demographics and ratings dictate everything else, I understand that. Due to demographics and disposable income, Classic Rock commands larger advertising dollars than metal/alternative so that format change was understandable. But adult contemporary Christian in CT? Having a tough time seeing that one, demographically speaking.

WCCC Says Goodbye To Classic Rock

I don't spend enough time driving or sitting listening to the radio to justify satellite radio. Country and sports talk are what I've got on during the day in my office. It'll be interesting to see how things pan out and if one of the other stations gives the up-and-coming talent an outlet.

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)