View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 03:43 PM
ROLLGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc View Post
82 300D - oil pressure gauge is leaking. From what I've read in the archives: it needs to be replaced, and the best method is to either replace the entire cluster, or, at least the section with the oil press. gauge/temp. gauge/fuel gauge. I am thinking the best would be simply replace the part of the gauge I need - in order to avoid any possible speedometer issues. I understand (correct or not?) that the replacement would have to be from an 82-83-84 or 85. With the exception the 85 speedometer wouldn't work correctly, if I decided to use the entire cluster. I checked the inventory at the local parts yard, and it appears the only likely candidate is and 83 SD. So, my question is: will the SD cluster (or at least the part of it I really need) be compatible with the D that I have?
Any other ideas/suggestions, regarding this matter, would be welcome and appreciated.
And YES, I am aware that 2 wrenches (10mm & 13mm) are the prescribed way to loosen/tighten the oil line, to reduce the chance of leaks.
THANKS IN ADVANCE Matt
I have not tried it, but I assume that you will need a 123 gauge, and the 126 will not work. It is best just to replace the section that is bad, especially if everything else works (speedometer/odometer, clock, tach etc.). It is impossible just to replace the oil pressure gauge only on the circuit board, you will have to swap the entire board with a known good one. While you have all 3 out, a good idea is to paint the needles (fluorescent orange) and the inside of the instrument light wells (white).......Rich