View Single Post
Old 08-11-2014, 09:06 PM

Clothes Dryer Won't Stop

Hi. Tried Googling and then searching this forum, but couldn't find anything that seems to make sense for my situation. So I'll hit you guys up for help.

We have an Amana electric clothes dryer that won't stop. Wife sat up in bed at 4:30 AM this morning because she heard it still running upstairs. I thought I heard a motor running last week when I was getting ready for work but didn't go upstairs to investigate. It is definitely fupped duck.

The model is ALE643RAW / PALE643RAW and I have no idea how old it is. We bought it new sometime in the last 10 years.

It dries clothes fine, so it heats up.

The timer does advance in the timed drying mode. But she said the pointer was pointing at 5 - 10 minutes left in the cycle when she went up to stop it this morning. It seems like it gets hung up there.

Wife almost exclusively uses the timed drying cycle. She doesn't like the cycles that monitor the dryness of the clothes and automatically turn it off when it reaches the selected dryness setting. So I can't tell you if the timer advances in those modes.

The dryer does stop if you open the door (thank God) and it does not re-start on its own when you close the door. You have to start it normally.

It seems like it would obviously be a bad timer, but repairclinic.com trouble shooter suggests it could be 1) air flow problem 2) blower wheel 3) heating element 4) lint filter 5) high limit thermostat or 6) cycling thermostat. Ironically, it doesn't suggest a bad timer. Every one of their suggestions only make sense to me if you are using the moisture sensor modes and the clothes aren't getting dry so the dryer continues to run.

The timer costs north of $125, so I want to be sure before I buy it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Behind every great man is a great woman. Behind every great woman is a great behind.