View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynalow View Post
Before exercise yesterday 108/64; after 104/60.
What? Me worry?
All you posters so far sound very good to excellent blood pressure wise. Skid row yours is so relatively constant and normal why bother taking it twice a day? Tom as I know your age yours is probably much better than should be expected on average. Hopefully giving you a very long lifespan.

As for me I detected something was wrong while doing a roof. Anytime I got near an edge it bothered me. Even with a safety line. This was not normal for me so went and had my pressure checked amoungst other things.

Since that time medication has kept it bearable. Reciently after many years I have had to have the medication increased. I am not on heavy dosages yet. The doctor claims it is normal to require more medication as you go along though and apparently I did not till reciently. Same dosage kept me in line for twenty years pretty much.

For those not aware there are check valves built into the vascular system. If you ever hear or feel them working check your blood pressure. This is the way I estimate if my pressure is up or down.

In my case if I hear or feel one of them working I get myself checked out. I do not want to suffer a stroke if avoidable. After the last operation the surgeon suggested I go on 81 mg of asprin a day as well.

Elevated pressure goes with age usually to some extent. One forty over eighty is probably not that uncommon at my age for example. I do still hit lows of 130/70 at times.

Trying to keep your weight down and arteries unplugged is worth the effort in my opinion. Blood pressure medication has a negative side effect as it lowers the sex drive for many. Thankfully it did not impact mine in my fifties and sixties. Now I have reached the age that if I desired a new girl fiend I would probably have to frequent the retirement homes.

Probably blood pressure profiles are genetic somewhat in nature as well. My mother for example suffered it. My doctor will recheck me in another week to see how upping the dosage has done. The slight increase in dosage has helped substantially I can already feel. If it is enough we will see.

Part of my problem may be inadequate sleep. I get by on much less than I should probably have. My body has in general never wanted more than five hours a night usually. You cannot sleep if your body does not want you to. I go into deep sleep very fast awakening refreshed and ready to go. My transitions to both states are rapid.

This morning I feel I am sitting at about 140/75 with a heart rate of about sixty. Contrary to probable suspected opinion I can guesstimate it. Not with any particulary accuracy but there is no doubt I also know when it is higher than it should be for me.

There was a time when our doctor said that the wife and myself where the healthiest patients he had in general. Then over time all hell broke loose. My wife and myself seem to have abnormal high energy levels still and always have had them. She has moderate blood pressure issues as well. At this time we both have energy levels of the average fifty year olds. Actually many fifty year olds cannot do physically what we do. About the only times I am not busy is when at the keyboard on this site having a coffee or sleeping. In a strange way we all age differently. Some people are worn out much earlier than they should be. A simple matter of genetics I suspect. some things are just beyond our control.

I have one of those doctors that you may not reach a hundred years old with but you probably will feel like you did by the time he is finished with you. Originally our lawyer called me one day about thirty years ago. He told me this doctor was locating here and had a stellar reputation as a general doctor. He recommended we both get on his patient list before it filled up. Never regretted it so far. Either has the lawyer. Over time he has reciently become recognized as the best in his field by the other members of his profession province wide. His wife is a doctor as well. Their four boys are all gifted. None wanted to be doctors though and I feel this was a loss to society.

Last edited by barry12345; 08-12-2014 at 10:25 AM.