View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
Pass as long as I can afford it. I'd drive a beater car to avoid having to sit with a bunch of strangers with body odors, kids screaming, inane attempts to start silly conversations, etc, etc. Know what the nice thing about the Vette or bike is? "Sorry, love to give you a ride but there is no passenger seat (unless I put it back for the wife) and my bike is a single seat".
I used to love taking the commuter train(*) home from work exactly because there were lots of opportunities for serendipity and people tended to start silly conversations. One or two of them ended up getting a phone number of a member of the correct gender. Also picked up a few business clients that way.

Now since I live in the city, I mostly bike or walk, but there are still plenty of opportunities for conversations with random people. A society where everyone sits in their own personal bubble and there's no human contact other than during "approved" situations would depress the hell out of me. Think of Wall-E with all the fat-arsed euthanasia-bait gimps riding in their own bubble-scooters.

(*) - the NYC subway is more about personal bubbles since people are packed so close during rush hour, but during other times, I've had interesting conversation as well.