View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 03:09 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe View Post
To stay on top of it. I don't like surprises down the road, when I could have tweaked my lifestyle earlier.

6-years ago @ the doctor's office routine check up, it was 151/92, then after 1/2 an hour, it had lowered to 143/89. The doctor advised me to buy a BP unit from Walmart, Walgreens, or CVS. Then bring the unit to his office to corroborate with their commercial unit's readings.

Well, I never did the corroborating, but I did immediately buy a self-checking unit. Been using it ever since.

The other week on a routine check up with the doctor, BP was 168/84 - I had my unit with me, and took it myself one minute later - it matched their commercial BP unit exactly. Showed doctor my log for one month - and he attributed the office readings as 'white lab coat' nervousness - he's got that right, I don't like going to the MD.

I have perhaps 10 to 15 or so dental doctor's visits too a year at Baylor College of Dentistry. They take your BP reading every time you come. Yesterday it was 143/83 - which isn't bad I suppose for a drilling session I was about to encounter in the dentist's chair.

Me too. Doctor got me on this regimen 11 years ago. The aspirin is great to take at bedtime. It puts you into a deeper sleep mopre quickly too - according to another doctor friend of mine.
Now I understand your habitual use of a cuff at home. . The white coat effect as you mention has a valid point. I do not particularily experience that to the best of my knowledge.

What I do experience by semi relaxing while waiting to see the doctor in his waiting room is a gradual decline I believe. The same occurs when use a drug store type of unit. If I sit down the first reading will always be higher than when I wait a few minutes and do it again. Usually about ten points lower.

I have no issue going to sleep but it was important you mentioned that taking the 81mg of aspirin just prior to engaging sleep may be helpful to others. I just pop mine with the morning pills.

I also think all members are aware that most drug store machines do your left arm. The proper way is to do your right arm.

I guess everyone should periodically check their blood pressure or have a doctor do it as it apparently can creep up over time with no symptoms I understand. At least once a year for the fortunate totally normal guys. Much of these issues are somewhat age dependent. Not totally of course but the risk factor of developing high blood pressure does escalate with it.