View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 01:35 PM
New England Hick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI View Post
Just a few tips about fire and smoke remediation . . . unless properly done, the smell will be there for years, if not decades. Shellac sealing of exposed timbers is recommended. It doesn't look like an issue for you, but all hollow core doors should be tossed, especially newer ones that have cardboard (yes, that's what's in there now) inside, since they are smoke sponges.
Thanks for the tips! That is their plan for the floor joists in the basement. They're going to soda blast everything and seal the beams, which are full dimension 3"x12". They may sister a couple of the ones that got scorched but they didn't char or start to burn, but they want to be safe. It's amazing how much less it smells with the (limited) insulation out of walls!

Fortunately all of the doors were all solid of the same vintage as the house. Unfortunately the door at the top of the cellar stairs was blown open and I think the FD removed it the rest of the way in exactly the fashion you would expect in an active fire situation behind that door. I'm hoping they'll let us salvage them and strip them for refinishing. If not, I'll scrounge the salvage yards (or hit up Hattie when he tears down some old gem ) for some old solid doors. I may just repurpose a couple if we end up opening up some doorways.

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)