View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 01:34 AM
Back to my roots!

Yes, one could simply drive it over on the provincial tags, providing the seller would acquiesce. And yes again, arguably getting it across the border in the first place is somewhat simplistic, but registration here also takes a degree of creativity. As most states do not recognize European VINs, then there are no corresponding numbers in their respective databases. A white lie of being off by a digit model year wise will cause very few to no red flags (only fly might be if one lives in a state where VINs are verified by a third party [e.g. police] and so the claimed model year might also be suspect, but even then it's likely to slip by just due the nature of Euro cars not changing their whole body style on a yearly basis). If I had told the DMV my car was a 240D instead of what it really is (previously federalized 230e), I would have been in and out of the office in five minutes, as opposed to the 90 minutes I spend waiting for some papercrat somewhere to tell the corresponding papercrat in front of me that yes, it's ok!

Further, I mentioned this more about bringing cars INTO Canada from Europe and THEN into the states, as opposed to cars already IN CANADA, although I guess it amounts to the same thing, pretty much.