View Single Post
Old 02-03-2003, 10:51 AM

Interesting topic. Not really much of a surprise on the W8. Most consumers are not really very sophisticated when it comes to evaluating an automobile. So they shop based upon the prestige of the brand. Noone is going to purchase the VW when they can get a BMW for the same price. It doesn't matter how good or clever the car is.

I drove a base Passat a few weeks ago. It's a darn nice car, very well appointed, the interior is well fitted and appears to be high quality. Much nicer than the Japanese competition. But when I started looking into the reliability, it's laughable. Dumping my troublesome E300 turbodiesel for this car would be out of the frying pan into the fire. I think one internet poster summed it up thus: "VWs look better, drive better, have better seats and higher quality interiors than a Honda or Toyota. But you have to put up with two or three extra repair visits to the dealer every year." Two or three a year! Who's willing to put up with that?

Also drove the new Accord. Overall I didn't like it. Very typical Honda, however. Impressive drivetrain. Driver's seat uncomfortable - insufficient thigh support, wrong seat bottom angle, odd lumps in the seatback. Back seat takes a cue from GM - it's down on the floor, so you sit perched on your butt with your knees pointing in the air. Ride was surprisingly bad too. It must have too much compression damping in the shocks, because it kicks hard over every bump. I didn't realize the roads around here were so rough until I drove a Honda over them.

I ramble,

- Jim