View Single Post
Old 02-03-2003, 08:34 PM
Hiya Steve.

Since you've ever taken out the electromag clutch, I wonder if the wiring loom from the clutch is de-tachable so I can test it.

There was a short once which resulted in the wires connected to the sensor burning. I noticed the smokin' wires before it anything BAD could happen (i hope) and took them out.

Then I lost the tach, powered rear view mirror, etc due to fuse #10 being blown.

Next, I disconnected the supply wire to the clutch (round connector) beneath the air filter housing and tried replacing fuse #10 again.

It was OK so I have the tach and stuff back again, but no clutch fan.

I noticed that the insulation of the 2 small wires (ground and +12V) going back to the clutch seemed to have burnt out in a couple of spots and that the wires are pretty stiff (due to the heat, i guess).

Put +12V directly to the supply wire of the clutch (with the engine running and the ground wire connected) and still no clutch fan.

Which brings me back to my first question, whether these wires can come off the clutch (via a connector) so I can renew the wires. If not, we could be looking at a fan clutch replacement, which I think may not be necessary unless the clutch itself has been damaged beyond repair due to the short. I want to be sure before I take the leap.

Thanks for your tips Steve. I hope you can shed some light on the clutch wiring issue.

This is fun...

1991 190e 1.8