View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Not so amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silber Adler View Post
The point at hand, the vacuum line goes into a rubber tube? Or a module?
The bowden cable and the vacuum control didn't both fail, so the cable is fine, right?
That vacuum line is an open vent, it doesn't connect to anything. On many cars it's completely missing by this time (as on both of mine). The original intent was to run it to the passenger compartment to avoid any crud being sucked up from the engine compartment into the VCV.

A Bowden cable failure usually produces the opposite of what you describe (car wants to shift through all the gears way too early).

Assuming you have carefully checked all the vacuum connectors for wear (splitting, looseness) and other loose lines, I suggest you get a vacuum gauge and check your vacuum pump output:
Mercedes Vacuum Troubleshooting

If that is okay then try this:
Transmission flaring or clunking? VCV DIY - Mercedes-Benz Forum

The line to your transmission would be running off one of the splits coming from the top of the VCV. I have an '85 as well and I am pretty sure the way your vacuum is plumbed bears little resemblance to mine. You may want to look online for a vacuum schematic and check on that.

Mac
2002 e320 4matic estate│1985 300d│1980 300td
Previous: 1979 & 1982 & 1983 300sd │ 1982 240d

“Let's take a drive into the middle of nowhere with a packet of Marlboro lights and talk about our lives.” ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22