Thread: VCV Won't Suck
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 09:38 PM

VCV Won't Suck

Hey guys, its been a while but I need some advice. I was tracking down a sudden vac leak (my locks suddenly wouldn't hold vac overnight) and traced it to the diesel door vac element.

While testing everything under the hood with my new mityvac, I believe I may have over pumped the VCV. I know there is a new problem with the vac system now since the trans is now slamming into gear. I know slamming into gear on a 1985 means no or inadequate vac, I've had that problem before.

To keep from slamming into gear on my 25 mile trip home today, I pulled the line that goes to the VCV and plugged it into the spot for the coupe seats on the 5-way distributor. It didn't slam into gear anymore but it did slightly flare on hard acceleration as I expected. So take it from me, if your vcv goes out, use a vac supply to keep the slamming down.

How do I remove the VCV? How is VAC supplied to the VCV? It will hold vac with engine off and it will leak down as it should when I pull the throttle linkage. How can it have zero vac when engine is running but hold vac when engine is off?

Thanks and sorry if I included too much detail.

Willson
85 300CD