View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 06:46 PM
Not so amused

If there is that sort of evidence for one or more injectors being bad, my advice would be that you should address that before trying to adjust the rack damper bolt.

The rack damper is there to smooth out the idle, all other things being equal - and they aren't from the sounds of things.

Once you have addressed the injectors, you can try to adjust the rack damper bolt that is now in there, but you chances of success will be limited based on my experience. The bolt has an internal spring and the upgraded one is stronger, to compensate for wear in the pump.

Replacing the bolt is difficult because of where you have to work but it isn't an internal component in the sense I think you have of it. It's an external adjustment tool, it has no contact with fuel.

The rack damper (aka damper pin, I believe) is located at the very back end of the pump, facing the oil filter canister. It has a locknut.

Mac
2002 e320 4matic estate│1985 300d│1980 300td
Previous: 1979 & 1982 & 1983 300sd │ 1982 240d

“Let's take a drive into the middle of nowhere with a packet of Marlboro lights and talk about our lives.” ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22