View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 05:19 PM

Had 1 knee done in April 2013, I was 59 at the time. It was from a previous injury - a long time ago. My bone was breaking down, and chips were falling into the joint. From the onset of the pain, to the replacement, was only 10 weeks. No long suffering from grinding bones, as most people experience.
The first 3 days after the operation suck! 10 days out and I could see vast improvement. Could have returned to work in 6 weeks, but since I had over a year of sick leave, and am retiring in Nov. 2015, I was off for 3 months.
Don't fool around with the rehab! JUST DO IT! I went above, what I think, was the 'call of duty', and kept moving it, so it would regain full range of motion. To cheat on the rehab, is only cheating yourself.
Watch it with the hydrocodone, easy trap to fall into. The only side affects of that is constipation (combat that with over the counter meds), and a relaxed feeling - so, sometimes you have to force yourself to get up and move! Be a 'tough guy' if you want, and do without the pain meds; but I wouldn't suggest it, why make a bad situation worse?
Both knees is a different situation than one. I was in the hospital for 48 hours, and came home. You won't be able to do that. I think (although others will disagree) going both at once (if they both need it) is the way to go. Sure, easy for me to say, but why do 1/2 the job twice? You might want to get others opinions on that.
After a year(it's now 16 months) I avoid jumping off of things, squatting, working on my hands-and-knees, and running; otherwise okay.
My doctor promised me "You'll never forget it's there!" and he was right.
All-in-all, keep your spirits up, keep moving as soon after the surgery as you can, and you'll be fine. Best to you my friend, Matt