View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 07:24 PM
Registered Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Fowler View Post
Thanks for the responses--they pretty much echo what I've heard from friends that have knees replaced.
Yes rehab is important. My PLAN is to go above what is demanded, but I will have to see if I can actually do that. My history is that I heal fast. I hope that holds true.

A friend who had both done at the same time, recovered well, and was actually in his garage a week after surgery. he said, the initial pain was so sever, he doubted that he could force himself to do a second one if he had done one at a time.
I am looking forward to it. I asked my surgeon about why there are still unsuccessful knee replacements, and thats when he said you avoid that by choosing a surgeon who does many, many replacements every year; not just a couple.

More experiences are great, please keep posting.
I will post my progress.
The bolded section sounds like a good friend of mine in Colorado. He and his wife were very active (had scaled all of the fourteeners) and he said the reason he did both is that's what he heard, the pain from the one will scare you off of doing the other. However, same surgeon, same day, same procedure, same manufacturer, and one was perfect and the other had to be redone because something about it was a little off.

That's the problem with knee surgeries, as opposed to hips. The latter are very nearly cookie-cutter routine, but the knees are a different story.

I'm facing one at some point, I tore my right one up when I was 17 and had it opened up back then (this preceded the arthroscopic procedures) and it's been scoped twice, I'm a faithful follower of the magic elixir compounds of glucosamine, chondoitin, and a few others, but if's full of arthritis and scarring and the ACL is now gone as well. That said, until the pain is more frequent than not and it limits my lifestyle, I'm fine with waiting.

Good luck with yours. And definitely do as much of the rehab exercises as you can stand...plus one. That's true with any joint surgery.