View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 02:03 AM

I took the car to upstate NY to install a hitch receiver during a little vacation. I nearly suffocated myself on exhaust fumes on the way up!

One of the exhaust tips broke off, so the exhaust fumes were circulating back up under the bumper and through the rust holes and into the passenger compartment. When the tips were both intact the exhaust went out under the rear of the bumper, but not now. Note the soot on the paint.

In any event, the rust had gone too far!

I did a quick fix on the exhaust tip. I inserted a piece of pipe and drilled two screws into it, one through the muffler and one through the tip. It held for the ride home until I could weld it.

This is the quick fix on the rust holes for the drive home. It is not pretty, but it worked.

I was able to breath on the ride home. Once there I set to gracefully cut out the old until past the rust.

This is the donor piece off my 1991 300E 4Matic parts car. (Yet another car! 1991 300E 4MATIC for a whopping $150.00)

Cutting and fitting was a bit tedious.

The wheel well cut from the inside.

Finally in.

Here is the lower seam. I did it here rather than at the very bottom as originally made because of too much rust on the car at that point.

Proton supervised.

Loads of seam sealer.

I ground down the bead to where filler can smooth it out.

Peach Parts W124.128 User Group.

80 280SL
85 300SD
87 300TD
92 300D 2.5 Turbo
92 300TE 4Matic