View Single Post
Old 02-04-2003, 02:24 PM
Unhappy My baby is DEAD! Help !

Well, It's been about a year and a half since my daily driver 1976 230 died on me, so I can't really complain.

I left it in the garage for 2 weeks while I was away, so that may be part of the problem, because the problem started about a week after I came back.

I drove it for 1/2 hour in -18 C temperatures last week, came back out to it and it wouldn't start. Left the car to cool for a while and it got me home no problem.

Two days later, I stopped to get gas on the way home and after filling the tank, it wouldn't start again. Left it for a while, still nothing. I then changed the carb.(Stromberg 175) diaphragm, nothing. I took off the choke housing and made sure the choke/piston was moving freely, it was.

I managed to get it going by pulling off the vacuum lines and air filter housing and nursed it home, because the moment I took my foot off the gas it died, so I had to keep my foot on the gas and the brake at the same time.

I really don't know what else to do. I'm not too familiar with how vacuum works on my car.

Any advice on what else to check?

I'm suspecting it's a vacuum issue (of which I've had for years)

I'm hoping it's not transmission or engine related (I've been delaying working on my tranny for a few months)

1976 230 W115 4 cyl.